Wednesday, February 27, 2013

What's in a name?

background: I have 2 uncles with endearing nicknames.  Uncle Mike and Uncle Larry's names morphed when Abigail and Joshua were born.  Uncle Mike became Gumby using the initals G.U.M. (Great Uncle Mike) and Uncle Larry became Gulley for Great Uncle Larry.  For the last 4 years we have called them both by their new names. 

recently:  Joshua is big into nicknames right now.  It has been announced that Anna Ruth's nickname will be "Ladybug."  In fact, when writing her name Joshua often writes, "Baby Anna Ruth Ladybug Nolen."

current day:  This past weekend Joshua and I were in Jackson visiting with family.  While in the car the following conversation takes place:
Joshua: "Mom, I have a nickname for Gumby."
Amelia: "You do?  What is it?"
J: "Uncle Gumby!  Does that crack you up?"
A: "It sure does.  But you know Gumby is a nickname.  Gumby is not Gumby's real name?"
J: "WHAT?!?!"
A: "Gumby's real name is Mike.  We used call him Uncle Mike because he is my uncle.  And when you were born we started calling him Gumby.  So really Gumby already has a nickname."
J: "Are you serious?"
A: "I am.  And you know what?  Gulley isn't Gulley's real name either."
J: "WHAT!??!"
A: "That's right.  We used call him Uncle Larry because he his my uncle.  So really Gulley already has a nickname too."
J: pondering the new revelations..."Hmmm.  Well, I still think it cracks me up to call him Uncle Gumby."

No comments: